Gossip Girl’s Blake Lively has been spotted lately with a really cute “Bohemian Chic” hairstyle. This look is great for Big Hair because it helps keep some of your front strands out of your face. We asked Nick Penna, co-owner and lead stylist at SalonCapri
for some tips on recreating Blake’s style. The key is make this look appear “effortless.” Here’s what he had to say.
1. Make sure your hair is NOT freshly washed. If the hair is too silky, it will be harder to work with.
2. Part your hair where you prefer (I like a side part to my right, but that’s just me).
3. Use a barrel curling iron to add piece-y loose curls to your hair. Be sure to not have your hair perfectly curled and looking too “styled. (If you have really curly hair, this may be a step to skip).
4. Starting at your part, pull tiny strands of hair and begin to braid them. Make sure you stop braiding either half way or almost to the end of your hair length.
5. Stop every so often to spray hair lightly with hairspray or finishing spray. Once the braid is at the length you want, either secure with a tiny pin or leave the rest of that strand of hair unbraided and hanging down.
6. Add in a couple more braids on the same side of the part and then begin to work on the other side of the head.
7. To complete the look, leave hair down or pull all of the hair back into a loose bun and secure with pins. For another look, you can twist some of the braids or chunks of hair back and then secure them into the bun.
Photo: Gossip Girl Insider
Every now and then we come across hair products that make us ask ”How did someone come up with this?” Let me introduce you to a SimpleCASE ($22) – a satin pillowcase that is designed to prevent hair breakage and moisture loss due to frictional damage while sleeping. I’m still testing this “hair-saver” out but so far so good.
We did some research and it turns out satin pillowcases come highly recommended for those of us who have chronic bed head. If you’re a restless sleeper, WomenFitness.net
says to give one of these a try. NaturallyCurly.com
recommends a satin pillowcase to reduce tangles and so does WikiHow
if you are trying to make your hair grow faster.
Want to give a SimpleCASE a shot? Check out their website
. Each purchase comes with a 100% guarantee, so no hurt feelings if it’s not everything you wanted out of a satin pillowcase and more.
When my Tassi first arrived I must admit, I didn’t know how it really worked. Ok, so I knew it was like a headband, but better, but I wasn’t quite sure if I still needed to keep my hair up with a hairtie, let it loose or what! Until I went to their website, tassicompany.com. Instantly, a video popped up which shows exactly how you wear it. Basically, you put it on like a headband and scoop all your hair in the back inside your Tassi. No hairtie, clips, etc. needed.
Let’s just say I am hooked. My Tassi neatly tucked and held back all of my big hair – which is not easy to do! It’s great to use when washing your face, putting on makeup, tanning or getting a massage. I even used it in the shower to shave my legs, but didn’t want to wash my hair. Definitely PGH worthy.
Turns out, we aren’t the only fans. AnnaLynne Mccord from the new 90210 loves her Tassi too. Remember we blogged
about how much we love her curly hair? Now we know one of her secrets to fabulous locks!
My Tassi will be a new addition to my overnight bag. I can leave my products (well some of them) and diffuser at home and know that my hair will be just fine the next day.
Just yesterday we were introduced to lay-down shampoo beds by Thomas Chase Hairdressing, an upscale, chic salon in Santa Monica, CA. This big comfy chair looks like a little bit of heaven if you ask me. How bad I wanted to jump on a 5 hour cross-country flight to test one out.
Can you imagine – no awkward neck pain when you lay back in the sink? And look at all that room to stretch out. Besides being able to completely relax in one of these shampoo beds, everyone at Thomas Chase is treated to a ten minute head and neck massage while they get their hair washed.
If you don’t live in Santa Monica but still want to try one of these heavenly beds out, you may have a bit of a problem finding a salon that carries them. We did some research and not many exist. Are you one of the lucky ones who have been shampooed in one of these beds? Let us know how it was!
When it comes to thick, curly or wavy hair that tends to frizz (a.k.a. Premium Grade Hair) choosing the right shampoo is very important. Listen, PGH is thirsty! We can’t say it enough! That’s why when selecting a shampoo you should look for words like moisturizing, nourishing, or hydrating.
asked their readers for their favorite shampoo picks. 24 shampoos made the cut, but we only reccommend a couple of them for PGH. Here’s our narrowed down list:
Purology Hydrate Shampoo, $25
Nature’s Gate Jojoba Revitalizing Shampoo for Damaged Hair, $5.99
Davine’s Love Smoothing Shampoo, $15.99
Rusk Sensories Calm Guarana and Ginger Nourishing Shampoo, $9.99
Frederick Fekkai Protein RX Reparative Shampoo, $22
Rene Furterer Karite Intense Nourishing Shampoo, $23
Got a shampoo for PGH that we need to know about? Leave us a comment!